The Manchild Music Review

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Arcades, Fire, and Corruption

So... in the continuing series (not really.. more coincidence than anything) of cover songs, coupled with Blog titles that end up being an incredibly lame attempt to combine the two elements of the cover song, I give you this:

The Arcade Fire - Age of Consent

Now here's the thing about this song. It saddens me. Why? Well, when I saw Arcade Fire in the giant toilet bowl that is Red's West Edmonton Mall, giant pillars surrounding me, unable to see the stage as they broke out with "Wake Up", kind of missing it because I was still jockeying for position amongst the masses, they played this song.
Talking to other people who had gone to the show the day after, I would comment "The New Order cover was pretty good, hey?", and I just got blank stares back. They didn't even know.

But, its still a good song.

The AF also played this on a New York City sidewalk awhile ago, with 5 or 6 other songs late/early one night/morning. The only thing that comes close to that in Edmonton is:
a) Push-up Dougie
b) The time three incredibly white guys walked by me, all in Team Canada track suits, one of them beat boxing, the other two trying to freestyle
c) Push-Up Dougie

Why do I live here again?

(Actually, in all seriousness, Edmonton has a wicked local scene (Faunts, Fields to Flood, Field + Stream, The Floor, Storyboard, Mark Templeton... others that I feel I'm forgetting). I just hate Red's and even thinking about it makes me boil over with passive-agressive barbs this city.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home